Monday, June 27, 2011

Sala-isms

Anxiously awaiting my trip to China, I have been drawn time and again to a quote by Victorian journalist, G. A. Sala. I don't think I could express my feelings any better than this:
"I am not so wisely foolish to imagine or to declare that there is nothing new under the sun; only the particular ray of sunlight that illuminates me in my state of life has fallen upon me so long, and dwells on me with such persistent sameness, bright as it is, that I am dazed, and sun-sick; and, when I shut my eyes, have but one green star before me, which obstinately refuses to assume the kaleidoscopic changes I delight in. I must go away, I said. I must rub this rust of soul and body off. I must have change of grass. I want strange dishes to disagree with me. I want to be scorched or frozen in another latitude. I want to learn another alphabet; to conjugate verbs in another fashion; to be happy or miserable from other circumstances than those that gladden or sorrow me now. If I could be hard up, for instance, on the Bridge of Sighs, or wistfully eyeing my last real at the Puerta del Sol; if I could be sued on bill drawn in the Sanskrit character, or be threatened with arrest by Mahometan hatti-sheriff's-officer; if I could incur perdition through not believing in the seven incarnations of Vishnu, instead of the thirty-nine Articles; if I could be importuned for copy by the editor of the Mofussilite, and not the Morning Meteor; if I could have the plague, or the vomito nero, or the plica polonica, instead of the English headache and blues, the change would be advantageous—salutary, I think. I am sure I should be much better off if I could change my own name, and forget my ownself for time" (A Journey Due North, 2-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment